Friday, September 17, 2021

Mom's Chicken Curry Recipe

This was the only kind of chicken curry we had growing up, so I was surprised in college when I started eating out that curry elsewhere had a yellowish sauce.

Mom learned this recipe when she and Dad lived in Kenya. There was a Goan population there, and that is where she picked this up. I kept begging her to write down the recipe, but she kept putting it off. Fortunately, my dad had sent a copy to the Lims, family friends who had also lived in Kenya at the same time. They included the recipe in a book they published about their lives in Africa, and Susie Lim Yap was kind enough to send me a photo of the pages where the recipe was printed. I am sharing it here so I can look it up whenever I want to.

INGREDIENTS:

1 kilo chicken (cut into pieces)

2 onions (medium sized), finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely grated

1 inch ginger, finely grated

1/2 cup Del Monte tomato sauce

chopped red hot chilies

Chinese parsley

1 Tbsp. Indian curry powder

butter or oil for frying

PROCEDURE:

Fry onions in butter till clear, then add chicken pieces, garlic, and ginger. After the chicken changes color, add tomato sauce. Cook until the chicken is tender. Add Indian curry powder after 10 minutes, and lastly your Chinese parsley. Serve hot with steamed rice.

Note that Mom also added potato wedges and carrots, which she didn't include in the recipe. I can't wait to reproduce this recipe on my own!



No comments:

Post a Comment